Topographic Map Contest References
Invitational participants competing in the topographic map contest will complete the following four parts of the contest event:
- Determine the length of a line established between two points marked on a topographic map using the map scale
- Determine the bearing (line of travel) between the two points using a Silva Range-type Azimuth compass or equivalent
- Correct the above bearing for declination.
- Identify 10 topographic map symbols marked on the contest map from a list of 30 topographic map symbols selected specifically for the Invitational contest
- Determine the difference in elevation between two points.
The following links are the official training references which describe how to do the four parts of the contest above. You are to use these links below to study and train for the topographic map contest:
- Topographic Map Symbols for the Contest
- Printable pdf of Map Symbols
- How to determine the length of a line between two points marked on a topographic map
- How to determine the bearing (line of travel) between two points on the map using a compass
- How to correct the bearing for declination
- How to determine the difference in elevation between two points.